Cooking quinoa and lentils ahead of time is a smart and quick way to prepare a dish rich in protein, fibre and whole grains. There are multiple ways to put a meal together, ranging from veggie burgers to wholesome salads or warm dishes with grilled veggies. This summer, you can even grab whatever vegetables or fruit (tomatoes are a fruit!) you have in your kitchen or garden and improvise a meal or a side dish right on the spot. Just chop and mix to your cooked quinoa and lentils.
Beluga Black Lentils and Red Quinoa [Vegan]
- 1 cup dry black beluga lentils
- 1 1/2 cups salted water, brought to the boil
- 1 cup dry red quinoa
- 2 cups salted water, brought to the boil
- In a strainer, rinse the dry lentils with cold tap water. Add them to the 1 1/2 cups boiled salted water. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 13-15 minutes. If you prefer them softer, go 15 minutes. Drain excess water in a strainer and transfer cooked lentils to a bowl. Set aside.
- In a dry skillet roast the dry quinoa for a few minutes on high heat tossing them constantly and until they pop frequently and smell like popcorn. Transfer the roasted quinoa to the 2 cups pot of boiling water. Give them a gently stir. Allow to simmer uncovered from anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes (timing depends on the type of quinoa) and until all of the water has evaporated. Don’t touch them or stir them anymore until they are done. What I like to do is half way through simmering, when the water has reduced, make a small well or hole so that you can see the bottom of the pot. When there is no more water left at the bottom, they are done! Take the pot off the heat and give the quinoa a gently stir.
- Transfer the cooked quinoa to the bowl with the cooked lentils. Toss gently to mix them.
- Let cool to room temperature. Store the cooked lentil/quinoa in the fridge in a sealed container and add to your salads or other dishes. They will last 3-5 days in the fridge. If not using immediately, you can also freeze them. You can store them in sealed containers in the deep freezer for up to 8 months.