No Swedish julbord (Christmas table) is complete without the addition of beetroot salad and this version is anything but boring! This brightly colored salad has tender massaged kale, soft beets, and potatoes, and a crunchy hazelnut topping.
Beet Salad With Kale and Toasted Hazelnuts [Vegan]
- 3-4 beets
- 2 1/2 medium-sized potatoes
- Scant 1/3 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 3/4 cups kale (or other greens like spinach)
- Scant 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 small leek, sliced
- 1 tablespoon organic dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the beets and potatoes in separate pots until soft, leave the skin on while boiling. Discard cooking water and let cool.
- Toast the chopped hazelnuts in a dry pan on medium-high heat for a few minutes, until lightly browned and nutty fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Rinse and tear the kale into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl and add a pinch of salt. Massage the kale for about 5 minutes, until softened and dark green. Mix in half of the hazelnuts and push the kale out to the sides of the bowl, creating a hole in the middle.
- In another bowl, mix mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper, until smooth.
- Peel the cool beets and potatoes and cut in slices or cubes and add to the bowl with the dressing. Fold in the raisins and half of the leek slices.
- Place the beetroot salad in the middle of the bowl of kale and top with the remaining leek and hazelnuts.