This time of year, the stands of my local farmers market are weighed down by the beautiful bounty of fresh berries. The vibrant reds and brilliant blues of strawberries and blueberries provide the perfect palate for a patriotic pastry. The luscious layers of this raw, vegan Napoleon (or mille-feuille) can be assembled at the last moment for an impressive final course at your summer celebrations. If you don't have a dehydrator, don't worry. You can layer this delightful dessert in a wine or martini glass, parfait-style. Simply pulse the macaroon cookie ingredients into a course meal and skip the dehydrator directions all together.
Raw Berry Napoleons [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- zest of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup hulled strawberries
- 2 TBSP agave syrup
- 1 TBSP lime juice
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 TBSP white chia seed
- 6 fresh strawberries or 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- In a food processor combine the coconut, cashews, lime zest and salt. Pulse to create a fine meal.
- Add the maple syrup and lime juice and pulse until well combined. The mixture should hold together when pinched between your thumb and index finger.
- Press into a thin rectangle - approximately 1/4" thick - on a Teflex sheet and dehydrate for 6 hours at 110 degrees.
- Remove from the Teflex sheet, score into 12 rectangles and continue to dehydrate for 6 additional hours. The final texture should be firm but pliable.
- In a blender combine the strawberries, agave, lime juice and raw cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Add the coconut oil and chia seeds. Set aside for 20 minutes to allow the chia seeds to absorb some of the liquid. Blend until smooth.
- Chill in the refrigerator until firm (approximately 2 hours).
- On a larger serving platter (or four small plates) place four macaroon cookies. Pipe or spread a thin layer of strawberry cream.
- Add a layer of fresh berries. Repeat each layer.
- Top with a third macaroon cookie and a thin layer of strawberry cream. Serve immediately.