If you miss the taste of the ocean, then this vegan fish cake recipe will be right up your jetty. The fish taste comes from nori seaweed and they have the perfect texture from a blend of potatoes, beans, and bread crumbs. Also, they are very easy to make, so you don't have to be a master chef to impress yourself and your guests.
Bean and Potato Fish Cakes [Vegan]
For the Fish Cakes:
- 2 sheets sushi nori
- 2 3/4 cups lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 3.5 ounces boiled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 1 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, plus more to cover
- Sunflower oil
- Boil the potatoes. Drain and rinse the beans.
- To a blender, add 2 sheets of nori and pulverise — do not add water.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add them to a bowl with the beans and mash with a fork or other kitchen tool. Then, add the garlic, some black pepper, salt, finely chopped onion, pulverised nori, and mixed herbs. Mix to combine.
- Add bread crumbs and mix. You may need more to get a dough-like consistency.
- When the dough has the right consistency and doesn't stick on your fingers, form about six patties. Add some more bread crumbs to a plate and coat each cake.
- Deep-fry in oil. Alternatively, put them on a baking tray, sprinkle some oil on top and bottom, and bake in a 350°F oven.
- Serve with a slice of lemon on top of the cakes (the lemon juice brings out the flavors even more), cashew cream, and salad.