On a bed of rice sits braised kale, oven-baked tofu, juicy sautéed mushrooms, and crunchy carrots, drizzled with homemade ranch dressing. Who says vegetables aren't filling enough? This dish makes the satisfying perfect dinner after a long day of work. Best of all, it can be prepped the night before!
BBQ Tofu and Garlic Kale Bowl With Ranch Dressing [Vegan]
For the Baked Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu
- BBQ sauce, to coat
- 2 portobello mushrooms cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch of green or red kale, washed
- 3 medium garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink or sea salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1.2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
To Make the Ranch Dressing:
- Combine mayo, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in a 2 cup measuring cup. Whisk in milk, a 1/4 cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. May be prepared ahead of time and kept for a few days, covered in the refrigerator.
- Before moving on to the next step, shred the carrots and start preparing the rice.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet. Drain water from tofu package, and then cut tofu block into 1-inch strips or cubes.
- Line the tofu up on the baking sheet and drizzle with BBQ sauce. Turn each piece of tofu until it is coated with BBQ sauce. When oven reaches temperature, bake for 20 minutes, or until tofu is firm and BBQ sauce is baked into tofu. It will appear a little dry, but you will add more sauce when you serve it.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms in the butter, with salt and pepper to taste over a medium heat for about 4 minutes. Set aside in a bowl and cover to keep warm, and return skillet to stove top for prepare the braised kale.
- Cut the tough end pieces off of the bunch of washed kale leaves. Chop leaves into bite sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and the garlic over a medium heat for about 1 minute, and then add kale. Sprinkle with salt, pour the water over the top, and stir. Cover with a lid and lower heat. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to toss with garlic, until kale is wilted, and slightly darker color, but still having a little snap to it. Remove from heat.
- Add a portion of rice to bowl. Next, add a portion of tofu and drizzle with some BBQ sauce. Add mushrooms and then a generous amount of braised kale. Top with some shredded carrots and drizzle with ranch dressing.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Tofu!? One of the most damaging things to your brain you can eat? Really? I’ve definitely LIKED the WRONG page!
Guess you did
Non-GMO tofu is excellent for your health!
Not even close to the most damaging thing!