When it comes to huevos rancheros, it is all about having a smoky, savory red sauce that really brings the whole dish together. This vegan take on the classic breakfast dish uses re-hydrated chilis for the base of the sauce along with some extra herbs and seasonings for a smokey and genuine take. Marinated jackfruit is mixed in with the tofu scramble to pack in even more flavor.
BBQ Jackfruit Huevos Rancheros [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Jackfruit Marinade:
- 1 20-ounce can of jackfruit in brine, drained
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, separated
- 2 dried New Mexico chilis
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1/2 vegan chicken bouillon cube or vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup of canned hot Mexican-style tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pink Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- Water to rehydrate chilis
For the Tofu Scramble:
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Tostada shells (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup black beans
- Vegan sour cream
- Spinach or kale
- Sliced jalapeño
To Marinate and Cook the Jackfruit:
- In a large plastic bag or airtight container, place all the ingredients and shake around to ensure the marinade is covering all the pieces of jackfruit. Set in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- Once jackfruit is marinated, transfer to a pan on medium high heat with a bit of oil and cook until slightly burnt on the outer edges, about 7-10 minutes. Once the jackfruit is heated through, shred with two forks or a potato masher. Set aside on very low heat to keep warm until ready to serve.
To Make the Sauce:
- In a sauce pan, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high heat. Sauté dried chilis on each side until they turn slightly darker in color, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the chilies from heat, cover with enough water so chilies are fully submerged, and re-hydrate for 10-15 minutes.
- While chilies are rehydrating, heat the rest of the oil in another small sauce pan on medium-high heat. Toast coriander seeds for about 2-3 minutes. Add onions and garlic and sauté an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a blender, add chilis, 1/2 cup of water that was used to rehydrate chilis, 1/2 bouillon cube, ground oregano, canned tomato sauce and sautéed onions, garlic, and coriander seeds. Pulse until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce back to a small sauce pan, bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Simmer until the sauce thickens a bit, about 30 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
To Make the Tofu Scramble:
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare your tofu scramble.
- With the back of a fork, crumble tofu until it looks similar to that of real scrambled eggs. Mix with turmeric until the tofu is yellow in color
- In a non-stick pan on medium-high heat, cook tofu until heated all the way through, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
To Assemble the Huevos Rancheros:
- Top each tostada shell with greens of choice, about 1/2 cup of jackfruit, a few tablespoons of red sauce, black beans, and avocado. Garnish with cilantro, a few slices of jalapeño and a small dollop of vegan sour cream.