BBQ pork buns are a staple on any Chinese dim sum menu, but let's leave the pigs alone and use jackfruit instead! It's just as meaty, juicy, and tender and absorbs the BBQ marinade perfectly. Stuffed in soft and fluffy dough and dipped in soy sauce – pure dim sum heaven!
BBQ Jackfruit Buns [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans young jackfruit in brine (do not get ripe jackfruit in syrup!)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onions
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- Begin by whisking together the caster sugar and warm water in a large bowl.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, whisk in the dry yeast and allow to sit for five minutes, then add the baking powder.
- Next, sift in the flour and salt before bringing together into a dough with your hands. Once a nice, wet ball of dough is formed, cover the ball with a tea towel and allow to rise for an hour.
- While the dough is rising, make your filling by first draining the jackfruit before breaking the pieces apart and squeezing out excess moisture. Discard any seeds or particularly hard pieces.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok before adding the garlic, ginger and jackfruit. Stir in the wok for a few minutes and as the jackfruit begins to soften, add the spring onion and remaining ingredients.
- Cook for a few more minutes before allowing to simmer for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once the dough has risen, lightly knead into a smooth ball before cutting into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball before using a rolling pin to roll into 18cm discs.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the filling into the middle of each disc before bringing the dough together at the top and giving a little twist.
- Add each of the buns to a steamer lined with baking paper and steam for 20-30 minutes until the dough is cooked through.
- Serve immediately with soy sauce and chili sauce.