These millet-based croquettes still carry the distinct falafel ﬂavor, with an added barbecue kick from the spice mix! Millet is a healthy grain, rich in iron and other nutrients, and if there are some cooked leftovers lying around in my fridge, I often use the to make these elegant croquettes. They are always well received, even by otherwise picky eaters! From Falafel: Delicious Recipes for Middle Eastern-Style Patties, Plus Sauces, Pickles, Salads, and Breads. Photograph by Toby Scott © Ryland Peters & Small 2023.
BBQ Falafel Croquettes [Vegan]
Makes 10 croquettes
Ingredients You Need for BBQ Falafel Croquettes [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup (100 g) millet
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) boiling water
- 2 tablespoons ﬁnely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ﬁnely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons barbecue spice rub (with added salt)
- 1/4 cup (6 g) freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup (80 g) polenta/cornmeal olive oil, for brushing
How to Prepare BBQ Falafel Croquettes [Vegan]
- Wash and drain the millet well, then place in a saucepan and pour over the boiling water. Cover, lower the heat to a minimum and simmer for 12–15 minutes until the millet soaks up all the liquid and becomes soft. Spread on a plate to cool. (You can also use leftover cooked millet from previous meals, and skip this stage.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, Gas 4).
- Place the cooked millet in a large bowl and add the onion, garlic, spices and parsley. Knead well into a sticky dough that holds together.
- Form 10 cylinder-shaped croquettes, brush each one with oil on all sides and roll them in the polenta. Transfer to the lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown. They will brown nicely if you switch on the grill/broiler mode at the end of baking. Serve while warm.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.