These sandwiches are perfectly savory and full of flavor!
Barbecue Jackfruit Sandwich [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Barbecue Jackfruit Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 can of shredded young, green Jackfruit in water or brine (If in brine, break apart jackfruit pieces and soak in a full bowl of water for at least an hour. If in water, no need to soak).
- 1 onion quartered, then sliced
- 1 king oyster mushroom shredded with a fork (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Bakon seasoning (Hickory smoked torula yeast) or 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons mushroom seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water or veggie broth
How to Prepare Barbecue Jackfruit Sandwich [Vegan]
- Sauté onions, garlic, and seasonings for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add in drained and shredded jackfruit that has been broken up and/or soaked in water.
- Add shredded mushrooms, if you have opted to add those.
- Add in a barbecue sauce
- Simmer jackfruit mixture on low for 30 - 40 minutes or until caramelized.
- Serve on a warm bun with mustard, creamy slaw, and pickle slices.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.