These sandwiches are perfectly savory and full of flavor!
Barbecue Jackfruit Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 can of shredded young, green Jackfruit in water or brine (If in brine, break apart jackfruit pieces and soak in a full bowl of water for at least an hour. If in water, no need to soak).
- 1 onion quartered, then sliced
- (Optional) 1 king oyster mushroom shredded with a fork
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Bakon seasoning (Hickory smoked torula yeast) or 1/8 Tsp Liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 tespoons mushroom seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water or veggie broth
- Sauté onions, garlic, and seasonings for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add in drained and shredded jackfruit that has been broken up and/or soaked in water.
- Add shredded mushrooms, if you have opted to add those.
- Add in a barbecue sauce
- Simmer jackfruit mixture on low for 30 - 40 minutes or until caramelized.
- Serve on a warm bun with mustard, creamy slaw, and pickle slices.