These banana scones are so spectacular - they are busting with just enough flavor and sweetness!
Banana Nut Whole Grain Scones [Vegan]
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold coconut oil (solid form)
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (almond milk, soy milk, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons water, more if needed
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Toast the nuts in the oven until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Chop the nuts into very fine pieces.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, 3/4ths of the chopped nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger (or nutmeg) and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the coconut oil into the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, add mashed banana, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour the banana mixture into the dry mixture and combine with a big spoon. When combined, use your hands to knead into a dough.
- On a flat surface form dough into a circle that’s about an inch deep all around. Use a chef’s knife to cut the circle into 8 even slices.
- Separate slices and place on the baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes to 17 or until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Let the scones cool for a few minutes, then drizzle the glaze over the scones. While the glaze is wet, sprinkle it with the remaining chopped nuts.