Looking for a healthy frozen treat? These banana ice cream bars are topped with date caramel, sprinkled with walnuts, and coated with a crunchy chocolate shell. They’re absolutely delicious!
Banana Ice Cream Bars [Vegan, Paleo]
- 3 frozen bananas, chopped into chunks
- 7 pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Line a 9-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Make banana ice cream by placing banana chunks into a food processor or blender. Process until bananas are smooth and the consistency of ice cream. Do not over process.
- Immediately spread banana ice cream into the prepared loaf pan. Place in the freezer while you prep the date caramel using the same food processor you used for the banana ice cream. Add dates and sea salt to the bowl of your processor and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the processor as necessary. You may need to soak your dates in water before processing if they seem dry.
- Pull loaf pan with banana ice cream out of the freezer, spread date caramel over the ice cream and sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Cover with plastic wrap and place pan back in the freezer for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight if you have the time.
- Once bars are frozen (the date caramel may still be sticky, but the ice cream should be pretty solid) remove bars from the loaf pan and quickly cut into 6 bars. Place the bars back into the freezer and start prepping the chocolate coating.
- Prepare chocolate by whisking together cocoa powder, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Bring bars out of the freezer and work quickly to cover each with the chocolate. Start by spooning a good amount over each bar and then dip them to make sure all the sides get coated evenly. Place the coated bars on a platter lined with parchment paper and place the bars back in the freezer for a few minutes to set-up before serving. If you leave the bars in the freezer for quite a bit before serving, just let them rest out at room temperature for about 2 minutes.