Moist, spongy yet crisp on the outside – this vegan banana French toast is just what you need for a filling and festive breakfast. And it’s very quick and easy to make too! To add the final touch of French toast perfection, the toast is sprinkled with roasted almonds and topped with fresh strawberries. Oh, yum.
Banana French Toast With Strawberries [Vegan]
- 4 slices of whole wheat ciabatta (or your favorite bread)
- 1 cup rice milk (or any other unsweetened plant milk)
- 1 ripe banana (black dots on the peel indicate perfect ripeness)
- 1 flax egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- a handful of almonds
- a cup of chopped strawberries
- date syrup or maple syrup for topping
- coconut oil for cooking
- First, roast the almonds. Heat a pan to medium heat, roughly chop the almonds and roast them for a couple of minutes until golden.
- Be sure not to leave them alone as they can burn quite easily! When the almonds are ready, set them aside.
- In a blender, combine rice milk, banana, vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow dish, mix in the flax egg.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and sprinkle with some coconut oil. Dip each side of the slice of the bread into the banana mixture (let each side soak up the liquid for a couple of seconds) and put the slices on the pan.
- Cook for 2 to 4 minutes on each side until golden. Flip the bread carefully!
- When ready, top the vegan banana French toast with fresh strawberries, roasted almonds, and drizzle with date syrup.