The Dijon-balsamic glaze on these grilled vegetables gives this dish an umami punch and ultra summery feel. Serve them on your favorite bread with a homemade olive tapenade that sounds fancy but takes less than 5 minutes to pulse up. Your next BBQ or picnic is begging for these balsamic-soaked veggies. Whoever said meatless grilling is dull can take it up with these ‘wiches!
Balsamic Grilled Vegetable Sandwich With Olive Tapenade [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Balsamic Grilled Vegetables:
- 1 green zucchini, sliced thinly into strips
- 1 orange, yellow, or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Mixed Olive Tapenade:
- 1/2 cup mixed black and green olives (whatever are your favorites), pitted
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
- Few sprigs of your favorite fresh herbs
- 1 teaspoon capers
- Salt and pepper
For the Sandwich:
- In a large bowl, add the cut vegetables, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat and set aside.
- In a small food processor, add the olives, garlic, capers, and fresh herbs. Pulse 10-15 times until finely chopped but not a paste. Drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more acidity if you like. Set aside while you grill the vegetables.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high and oil the grates. Add the vegetables to the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes, until softened and charred in parts. When the vegetables are almost cooked, add your buns/bread to the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes, until toasted and gently charred.
- Put together your sandwiches: layer a good amount of hummus on the top cut side of the sandwich. Spread the olive tapenade on the bottom of the sandwich and layer with your grilled vegetables.