With soft baked sweet potatoes topping of mild and juicy spinach chana masala, this is the ultimate, easy comfort food. It's the perfect dish for a chilly autumn or winter evening with friends.
Baked Sweet Potato With Spinach Chana Masala [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 9.2 ounces spinach
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder or according to taste
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- 3.5 ounces grated creamed coconut
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Small bunch fresh coriander
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 395°F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and place on a baking tray.
- Pierce them all over with a fork and drizzle some olive on top. Cook for 30-50 minutes or until soft. Cook time vary depending on the size of the sweet potatoes.
- In the meantime, heat some olive oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic.
- Follow up with the garam masala, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, chili powder, and grated ginger.
- Cook under moderate heat until onion is soft.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes, the quartered fresh tomatoes, vegetable stock, grated creamed coconut, and spinach.
- Cook over medium heat, until the spinach has wilted.
- Cook for another 10 minutes to reduce some of the sauce.
- Drain the liquid from the chickpeas and throw them in.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season the dish with a bit of lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Once cooked, split sweet potatoes in half.
- Serve topped with the spinach chana masala and a generous handful of chopped fresh coriander leaves.