This side dish is guaranteed to disappear from your table in an instant. Rice is combined with sautéed mushrooms and plenty of herbs, then rolled in bread crumbs and baked to perfection. These rice balls are crispy on the outside, but they're made with no oil at all. Served with a side of soy sauce or liquid aminos, the flavor is taken to the next level.
Baked Crispy Rice Balls [Vegan]
- 1 white onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (cooked in vegetable broth)
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat, and preheat the oven the 350°F.
- Cook mushrooms, onions, and garlic in a pan with 2 tbsp vegetable broth until soft.
- Put into food processor with rice, 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, flour, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and herbs, and spices. Run until combined. Add the remaining bread crumbs and mix again.
- Mix 1/3 cup bread crumbs with 1/4 cup nutritional yeast in a shallow bowl. Form into balls using an ice cream scooper, then roll in the bread crumbs and nutritional yeast. Place onto the baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
Recipe from Conscious Chris.