This delicious wellington is perfect if you are entertaining. Chestnut mushrooms are fragranced with Chinese five-spice and serve in warm, flaky, buttery plaited puff pastry. You can even make the filling a day ahead of time for some stress-free dinner prep.
Asian Mushroom Wellington [Vegan]
- 8.8 ounces Chestnut mushrooms
- 3.5 ounces carrots
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 tablespoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon ground chia seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon fresh coriander
- Olive oil
- Melted vegan butter, to brush
- Salt and pepper
- Make the chia egg by mixing together ground chia seed and water. Set aside. Wash and clean mushrooms. Mince them very finely.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add finely sliced shallots, crushed garlic, and Chinese five-spice.
- Add minced mushrooms and grated carrots. Fry gently until mushrooms are cooked.
- Remove from heat. Add tamari sauce, bread crumbs, chopped coriander, and chia egg. Mix well until all is well blended together. Season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roll out pastry sheet on baking paper.
- With a sharp knife, cut diagonal 8/10-inch wide strips on each side. Pile mushroom mixture in the middle, packing it tightly.
- Alternating sides, plait each strip on top of the other until you reach the end and then brush some vegan butter all over.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes until golden.
- Once done, leave to rest for 10 mins before serving.