Apple thokku, a South Indian-style quick pickle that's packed with flavor. Tart green apples are blended until smooth and then cooked with tempered spices. This side is sweet, tart, spicy, and warm and while it's typically eaten with rice or dosa, it's the perfect addition to any table.
Apple Thokku: Indian Green Apple Pickle [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 green apples
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- A pinch of asafoetida, garlic powder, or onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons oil
- Chop apples into pieces, add to a food processor, and blend into a coarse paste. Do not add water while blending. Once smooth, set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. Temper mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, and asafoetida. Add blended apple and stir well.
- Now, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, and salt to taste. Mix well everything and cook for 15-18 minutes till all the moisture is absorbed from apple and you get a thick mixture. Store in an airtight container.