These easy Apple Spice Rolls taste just like a homemade apple pie wrapped in a super soft and perfectly doughy roll. Vegan and super yum! You can also add some chopped nuts or chunks of caramel; you could use pears instead of apples or even peaches!
Apple Spice Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour (plus 1/4-1/2 extra for rolling)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegan cane sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 4 1/2 tablespoons cold vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups or 2-3 medium apples (washed, pealed if desired and chopped small)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon water (just enough to create desired consistency)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the cold butter until it forms a sandy texture, work fast so you don’t melt the butter.
- Slowly add the non-dairy milk and gently stir it into the flour butter mixture, avoid over mixing which will create a tuff dough, leave it slightly crumbly. Place in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Wash, peel and chop the apples, place in a bowl and mix in the brown sugar and spices.
- Melt the 1 tablespoon vegan butter and set aside.
- Flour a surface, and place the dough on the floured surface, flour the top of the dough ball and the rolling pin and roll out into a large rectangle.
- Spread the melted butter and the apple mixture all over the rolled out dough and start to roll it up. Slice into about 2 inch thick rolls and place in the lined baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes, when rolls are almost done prepare the icing by mixing both ingredients in a bowl and spread on the rolls when they are fresh and hot from the oven.