These apple roses are no only beautiful to look at, but just as delicious to eat! With a variety of apples to choose from to make these wonderful roses, you can whip up this dessert whenever you're craving a sweet treat!
Apple Roses [Vegan]
- 4 red apples (pink lady works well)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons, unsalted vegan butter, melted
- 2 sheets vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter at room temperature
- powdered sugar for dusting (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a standard muffin tin, and set aside.
- Cut the apples in half and core them. Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice the apples into 1/8-inch thick slices. Place the slices in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, and toss gently to coat the slices without breaking them. This keeps them from turning brown. Add 1/4 cup of brown sugar and the melted butter, and toss to coat the apples evenly. Place bowl in the microwave and cook for about 45 seconds, until the slices are slightly warm and bend easily.
- Lightly flour a work surface, then roll one sheet of puff pastry until it is a 9×12-inch rectangle. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, slice the dough into six rectangles, each one being 9×2-inches. Repeat with the other puff pastry sheet so you have 12 strips of dough total. Lay one strip on the work surface, and line the top edge with 1/2 tablespoon of unsalted butter cut into tiny pieces. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of brown sugar evenly over the dough strip.
- Lay apple slices over the butter one at a time, overlapping them slightly, using about 10 slices per strip. The round edge of the apple slices should face away from the dough, lining up like flower petals.
- Fold the lower part of the dough over the bottom of the apples, and press gently to hold the dough and apples in place. Starting at one end, roll the strip up, forming a rose shape. Place the rose in a muffin tin, then repeat with the remaining strips.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the edges of the pastry are golden brown and the centers are fully cooked. Let cool for 2 minutes, then remove roses from pan and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve warm, dusted with powdered sugar if desired, and enjoy!
If you do not have a microwave, you can place the bowl over a pot with a little simmering water and stir occasionally until the apple slices are warm and bendy.