Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat porridge is an easy and delicious breakfast that will start your day off right. Buckwheat, despite the name, has nothing to do with wheat, and it’s not a grain, but a seed. Therefore, buckwheat is gluten-free and safe to eat if you’re on a gluten-free diet. Buckwheat Porridge keeps really well refrigerated in an air-tight container, so make a pot ahead, then portion out in air-tight containers for the week. You can also add in the coconut yogurt and almond butter, but add diced apples and roasted hazelnuts just before serving (or in the morning) so they keep the crunch.
Apple Cinnamon Buckwheat Porridge [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Wash buckwheat groats under running water and drain.
- Bring plant-based milk to a boil, season lightly with salt and add buckwheat groats. Add cinnamon to taste, vanilla extract and a grated sour apple.
- Cook on low heat according to package instructions, about 8 minutes, then cut the heat and let the buckwheat rest in a covered pot for another 10 minutes until all the liquid has been soaked.
- Serve the buckwheat porridge immediately or store refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Before serving add in a tablespoon of coconut yogurt, drizzle with almond butter, and top with diced apple and roasted hazelnuts.