Apple and cinnamon are a flavor match made in heaven! The tart sweetness of the apple compliments the intense aromatics of the cinnamon, leaving a sensation of a warm winters sun dancing on the taste buds
Apple and Sunflower Seed Crumble [Vegan]
- 3 Medium Golden Delicious Apples (peeled & diced into cubes)
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon (good quality)
- 1/4 Cup Golden Raisins/Sultanas
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Pinch of Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds (blitzed in food processor)
- 2 tablespoons Rolled Oats
- 2 tablespoons Spelt Flour
- 1 tablespoons Date Paste (reduced dates in a little water)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
- Peel and dice your apples and pop them into a steamer to slightly steam. This just helps to reduce cooking time, and to ensure they're super cooked and gooey in the end.
- Once slightly steamed, place into a bowl, and add the remaining filling ingredients. Mix well ensuring the apples are thoroughly coated in cinnamon.
- Place this mixture into a greased (with coconut oil) baking dish. I used a 16cm/6.5" dish.
- Now for the crumble, add your sunflower seeds into a food processor and blitz for around 30 sec.
- Add into a large mixing bowl. with the remaining crumble ingredients.
- For the date paste, add dates into a small sauce pan with a little water, and allow to simmer and reduce until a thick paste is formed, adding small amounts of water to help reduce.
- Using your hands, mix all the ingredients and crumble the mixture between your fingers and thumb. Once all combined and crumbled, scatter evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake in a fan oven 360ºF for 30 mins, or until golden brown.