There may be nothing better than a fresh batch of homemade, warm and gooey cinnamon rolls! To make everyone's favorite breakfast pastry seasonal, this recipe uses a sourdough base and an apple and raisin filling. The glaze is infused with almond extract, making these rolls even more autumnal and delicious!
Apple Almond Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil
- 2 flax eggs (mix 1 tablespoon of flax meal with 3 tablespoons water for each 'egg')
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 medium apple, diced
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon almond milk
- Mix all the dough ingredients together and allow to rise at room temperature. Depending on your kitchen's temperature, this could be anywhere from 2-8 hours. The instant yeast helps with this a lot.
- When the dough has nearly doubled in bulk (approximately), punch it down and roll it out on a floured board. Make a rectangle of 16x20 inches.
- Mix all of the filling ingredients together well.
- Spread out the filling, covering the entire shape. Roll it up like sushi (a flexible board really helps) until you have a 20-inch roll. Keep it seam side down and slice it carefully into 8 equal pieces. Lay these out onto a piece of parchment inside a baking dish. Use a 8-inch cast iron or an 8x8-inch brownie pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes at 350°F. You may need to cover them with foil for the last 15 minutes to prevent burning.
- Mix all the glaze ingredients together while the rolls are baking.
- Glaze each roll after they've been out of the oven for about 10 minutes or so and serve directly.
Per Serving: Calories: 434 | Carbs: 77 g | Fat: 14 g | Protein: 6 g | Sodium: 326 mg | Sugar: 45 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile