Do you ever get hit by a sudden chocolate craving? No need to deprive yourself! Instead of reaching for that traditional chocolate candy bar, try these Almond Butter Chocolate Protein Balls. They are packed with plant-based protein, healthy fats and energizing glucose: the perfect combination to stay happy, healthy and fit!
Almond Butter Chocolate Protein Balls [Vegan]
- 1 cup of almonds, soaked overnight + dehydrated until crisp
- 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin coconut oil (optional, you can replace this with extra water)
- ½ cup of dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp. of water
- 2 Tbsp. of cacao powder, unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp. of cacao nibs
- ½ Tbsp. of chia seeds
- ½ Tbsp. of hemp seeds (or extra chia seeds)
- ½ tsp. of Maca powder (optional, for an extra power boost)
- ¼ tsp. of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- ½ cup of buckwheat, soaked overnight + dehydrated until crisp (or almonds, cashews …)
- Place the almonds in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Mix until finely ground.
- Add the coconut oil and process until you reach a creamy ‘butter’ consistency. Add the dates and process again until finely ground and well combined.
- Add water, cacao powder, cacao nibs, chia seeds, hemp seeds, Maca powder and salt. Process again.
- Finally, add the crunchy buckwheat and pulse to combine.
- Shape the dough into small truffles and roll them in goji berry powder, cacao powder, maca powder, dried coconut, crushed cacao nibs ... Whatever you’ve got on hand!
- These Almond Butter Chocolate Protein Balls will stay fresh for at least 2 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- If you like to have a healthy sweet snack on hand, make a double (or triple) batch of these truffles and store them in the freezer.