These bars are gooey, sweet, and comfortable. Maybe you think comfortable is a weird adjective for food, but I think it's appropriate. Of course this recipe is reminiscent of PB&J (aka the stuff of childhood), so the flavor combo brings back memories for me of being young and not having a substantial care in the world. Comfort.
Almond Butter and Chia Jam Bars With Chocolate [Vegan]
For the Almond Butter Base:
- 1 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
For the Jam:
- 1 cup berries
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
For the Chocolate:
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar or date paste
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or cacao butter, melted
To Make the Base:
- Grind the rolled oats into flour in a blender, then mix together with the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Press into the bottom of a lined bread pan.
- Put in the fridge.
To Make the Jam:
- Mash or blend the berries until smooth, then thoroughly stir in the chia seeds and let it sit for 10-15 minutes so the chia seeds can gel with the mashed berries and thicken into jam.
- Spread this onto your base, then drizzle on the chocolate evenly. Stick it back in the fridge and let sit for an hour, then slice and munch!
To Make the Chocolate:
- Mix all ingredients until smooth and ridiculously delicious-looking.
- Spread the chocolate love out on some wax paper (or if making chocolate chips - dollop on with a spoon or icing bag) and put it in the fridge for an hour.