These bread rolls stuffed with a spicy potato mixture are a scrumptious and delicious Indian snack, and are made healthier since they are baked (in the air fryer ) rather than deep-frying. Enjoy these without any guilt!
Air Fryer Indian Potato Bread Rolls [Vegan]
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, about 2 cups of mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilis, finely chopped (adjust as per desired heat)
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder/cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder/1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 9 bread slices, plus 1 tablespoon oil
To Make in the Air Fryer:
- Heat oil in a skillet, add cumin seeds, let it crackle.
- Add ginger garlic paste along with finely chopped green chilis. Add finely chopped onions and saute until translucent. Add green peas and saute for a minute on medium heat.
- Add turmeric, red chili, cumin, and coriander powder. Saute for another 30 seconds on medium-low heat.
- Mash potatoes coarsely with your fingers and add to the pan. Also add salt, amchur powder, and garam masala. Mix well. Sprinkle lemon juice (if using that instead of amchur powder) and cilantro leaves, mix and switch off the heat. Let the stuffing cool down to room temperature.
- Divide this potato mixture into nine equal cylindrical-shaped patties.
- Preheat the air fryer at 350°F for 3 minutes. Take some water in a shallow dish, dip the bread slightly in water, and remove it out immediately. If your bread slice is very soft, then do not dip it in water as it will get soggy, instead dip your finger in water and flatten the slice with the help of your moist fingers.
- Squeeze out all the excess water by pressing the bread slice gently between your palms.
- Take one potato mix patty and place it in the center of the bread slice.
- Bring the four corners toward the center and seal the rolls, by pressing and squeezing gently. Make sure that the potato stuffing is completely enclosed in the bread slice. The slight moisture in the bread will help seal the rolls well.
- Place the rolls in air fryer basket. Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on all sides of the bread rolls.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown from all sides.
To Make on the Stovetop:
- Heat sufficient oil in a wok. Make sure that the oil is very hot. Deep fry the prepared rolls, keep turning sides. It should take about 1-2 minutes to attain a golden brown color If the oil is not sufficiently hot, the bread rolls will absorb a lot of oil. Test one roll, to set the correct temperature of the oil for deep frying.
- You may also shallow fry these instead of deep frying, keep flipping the rolls until they are golden brown on all sides.