Watermelon is the perfect summer treat. It is full of nutrients and because 92% of it is water, it is super refreshing on hot days! While watermelon is usually just eaten on its own, there are so many ways it can be used in your summer cooking. If you need a reason to try some new watermelon recipes out, August 3rd is National Watermelon Day! Invite your friends to show off your vegan cooking skills, or just eat some watermelon alone. It will keep you refreshed and happy all day long!
Whether you’re at a picnic, relaxing by the pool, or enjoying the air conditioning indoors, you will love these 15 watermelon recipes from our Food Monster App!
1. Watermelon Frosé
Source: Watermelon Frosé
Frosé is the super trendy wine-based slushie that’s cold and refreshing! Put a fruity spin on the drink by adding chunks of frozen watermelon to make it extra frosty. This recipe for Watermelon Frosé by Karen Sheer also adds coconut milk, lime juice, and raspberry purée.
2. Sweet and Spicy Watermelon Curry
Source: Sweet and Spicy Watermelon Curry
This Sweet and Spicy Watermelon Curry by Anuja Kohli Mariwala is going to be one of your go-to recipes after the first try. It’s easy, quick, beautiful, and delicious. Plus, this is a low-waste dish because it uses almost all of the watermelon. Hop in the kitchen and whip up a batch of this subtle, light, summery curry the next time you have company – it will be a hit.
Get the Summer Cookbook!
3. Summer Watermelon Salad
Source: Summer Watermelon Salad
Summer brings us juicy, red watermelon, which means you have to make this Summer Watermelon Salad by Karielyn Tillman. It’s a light salad with a light vinaigrette, but still has lots of nutrients from the hemp seeds, chia seeds, and walnuts. The Clean Eating Watermelon Vinaigrette is a super easy dressing that can be made in a matter of minutes and you’ll have plenty left over to use for your summer salads.
4. Banana Watermelon Seed Muffins
Source: Banana Watermelon Seed Muffins
These muffins appear to be predictable, run-of-the-mill chocolate chip muffins. Golden on the outside, polka dots on the inside. But after just one bite you’ll realize that you’re in for a delicious and nutritious surprise. Those chocolate chips aren’t chocolate chips at all, they’re watermelon seeds! Roasted watermelon seeds taste more nutty than fruity, and they are the perfect complement to sweet banana muffins. You will love these Banana Watermelon Seed Muffins by Nikki Haney!
5. Mind-Blowing Watermelon Sushi
Source: Mind-Blowing Watermelon Sushi
True alchemy occurs when watermelon is baked and then cured in a flavorsome broth—it is a freaky and delicious raw-tuna copycat. You can prepare the watermelon the night before and let it do its thing in the fridge overnight. This Mind-Blowing Watermelon Sushi by Great Vegan Meals for the Carnivorous Family is delicious!
6. Roasted Strawberry and Watermelon Sorbet
This Roasted Strawberry and Watermelon Sorbet by Azucena Noriega is the ideal treat for cooling off after a hot day. The watermelon’s light acidity provides a subtle base that accentuates the roasted strawberries’ rich, toasty sweetness.
7. Watermelon Doughnuts
Source: Watermelon Doughnuts
When it comes to making a superb baked doughnut, the result needs to be light, fluffy, and pack an amazing flavor profile. These glazed Watermelon Doughnuts by Gabrielle St. Claire do just that. The doughnuts themselves are watermelon-flavored and their vibrant pink glaze uses a combination of watermelon and dragon fruit flavors to give these a delicious and summery flavor.
8. Watermelon Tartare
Source: Watermelon Tartare
This refreshing Watermelon Tartare by Azucena Noriega is perfect for hot summer days, especially as a snack or party appetizer. The combination of flavors completely transforms the watermelon. The citrus juice combined with sesame seeds and soy sauce or tamari gives it a delicious umami flavor that’s unforgettable.
9. Watermelon Gazpacho With Beet Noodles
I can’t even explain to you how amazingly refreshing this Watermelon Gazpacho With Beet Noodles by Alissandra Maffucci is. The jalapeno gives it a kick, which goes with the sweetness of the watermelon fantastically. The texture is incredible – I like a thicker gazpacho, but if you like something soupier, just pulse in the blender or food processor for longer.
10. Watermelon Pudding
Source: Watermelon Pudding
This Watermelon Pudding by Azucena Noriega is super easy-to-make, very refreshing, and delicious. It only takes four ingredients to make and once everything is mixed and heated, it simply needs to be chilled. Garnish with some chocolate for added flavor.
11. Watermelon Rind Jam
Source: Watermelon Rind Jam
You will love these sweet, jewel-like pieces of watermelon rind, you will probably not be able to eat half a jar in one go, but you will be delighted with a moderate amount of it on your toast or just being able to pop a small piece of candied watermelon rind in your mouth whenever you crave something sweet. One piece of candied watermelon rind and you will forget about chocolate or gummy bears or candy or whatever sweets you normally cannot resist. This Watermelon Rind Jam by Adina Beck is delicious!
12. Watermelon-Sorghum Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette
Salad meets salsa, meets the best of summer entertaining with this refreshing Watermelon-Sorghum Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette by Quelcy Kogel. As an added perk, with the ingredients you’ll have on hand to make this salad, you’ll also have cocktail options! You’ll be well equipped to top off that meal with blackberry-jalapeño margaritas, or freeze watermelon cubes and chill a white wine sangria with extra flavor and color.
13. Watermelon Mint Drink
Source: Watermelon Mint Drink
The Watermelon Mint Drink by Wendy Irene is delicious and feels like such a refreshing treat. What a great way to hydrate and have a couple of servings of fruit at the same time. Pull out a cute Mason jar, get your sunglasses and sunhat on, and go outside and lounge while you sip your healthy beverage. It is a surefire way to boost your mood and love for life.
14. Watermelon Kiwi Popsicles
Source: Watermelon Kiwi Popsicles
15. Green Curry Corn Chowder With Watermelon Radish
This delicious Green Curry Corn Chowder With Watermelon Radish by Heather Poire is bursting with flavor. With green curry paste and spicy watermelon radish alongside the creamy coconut milk, this flavorful chowder is perfect for the transition from late summer to early fall. In addition to the watermelon radish and corn, this chowder includes jalapeño, banana fingerling potatoes, chives, and golden carrots. Feel free to swap in whatever variety of each veggie you have to make this chowder your own!
If you loved these watermelon recipes, you’ll also love 18 Refreshing and Creative Watermelon Recipes to Try This Summer for #WatermelonDay!, 7 Spectacular Summer Recipes With Watermelon, and 5 Ways to Use Juicy Watermelon This Summer!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.