This refreshing watermelon tartare is perfect for hot summer days, especially as a snack or party appetizer. The combination of flavors completely transforms the watermelon. The citrus juice combined with sesame seeds and soy sauce or tamari gives it a delicious umami flavor that's unforgettable.
Watermelon Tartare [Vegan]
- 3 cups watermelon, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons thinly sliced scallions
- In a medium bowl, mix together the orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce or tamari, serrano chili, and ginger. Toss the watermelon and mix well.
- Let soak for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions.
Because the watermelon tends to drain a lot of water, it is likely that if you leave it resting for a long time, it will end up like some sort of watermelon soup. To prevent this, serve the watermelon tartare on corn tostadas and store the remainder in an airtight container after draining the excess liquid.