This watermelon curry is going to be one of your go-to recipes after the first try. It’s easy, quick, beautiful and delicious. Plus, this is a low-waste dish because it uses almost all of the watermelon. Hop in the kitchen and whip up a batch of this subtle, light, summery curry the next time you have company – it will be a hit.
Sweet and Spicy Watermelon Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 a large watermelon
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon amchoor (dried mango) powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Remove the seeds from the watermelon and dice the flesh into 1-inch cubes, leaving a thin layer of pink on the rind.
- Cut green outer skin from the rind; discard this. Cut the rind into a 1-inch dice as well and keep it separate from the red bit.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, until it is shimmering. Add the nigella seeds (kalonji) with the cumin seeds and cook them until cumin is lightly browned and fragrant; this should take about 1 minute.
- Add the white watermelon rind (the tougher pieces), ground cumin, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, and rock salt. Stir this for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining watermelon pieces and amchur (dried mango) powder.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the curry, stirring it occasionally.
- Allow watermelon to cook for 8-10 minutes; until rind pieces are tender.
- Garnish it with the chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the dish with chappati or rice.