These muffins appear to be predictable, run of the mill chocolate chip muffins. Golden on the outside, polka dots on the inside. But after just one bite you'll realize that you're in for a delicious and nutritious surprise. Those chocolate chips aren't chocolate chips at all, they're watermelon seeds! Roasted watermelon seeds taste more nutty than fruity, and they are the perfect compliment to sweet banana muffins.
Banana Watermelon Seed Muffins [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Banana Watermelon Seed Muffins [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup watermelon seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups vegan refined sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces of vegan butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (approx. 4 bananas)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk (or another non dairy milk)
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
How to Prepare Banana Watermelon Seed Muffins [Vegan]
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and coat your watermelon seeds in extra virgin olive oil.
- Spread the seeds onto a baking pan and roast for 10-15 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Remove the watermelon seeds from the oven and set them aside. Keep your oven temperature at 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, refined sugar, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, mashed bananas, vanilla extract and almond milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Stir in the distilled white vinegar.
- Fold in the watermelon seeds.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin tin, stopping about 3/4 of the way from the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Allow the muffins to cool to room temperature (or at least for 5 minutes as the seeds will be hot) and then serve.
Per Muffin: Calories: 196 | Carbs: 12 g | Fat: 10 g | Protein: 3 g | Sodium: 80 mg | Sugar: 12 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.