Salad meets salsa, meets the best of summer entertaining with this refreshing watermelon and sorghum combination. As an added perk, with the ingredients you’ll have on hand to make this salad, you’ll also have cocktail options! You’ll be well equipped to top off that meal with blackberry-jalapeño margaritas, or freeze watermelon cubes and chill a white wine sangria with extra flavor and color.
Watermelon-Sorghum Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sorghum Salad:
- 4 cups scooped or chopped seeded watermelon
- 1 cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- Zest and juice of 3 limes
- 2 cups cooked sorghum
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the Blackberry Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup ripe blackberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To make the salad, toss all of the ingredients together until combined. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a small blender or food processor, and blend until creamy.
Remember to cook the sorghum ahead of time, since it takes about an hour, or better yet, plan to make this dish during a week when you’re using sorghum as a base for your grain bowls and have some grains to spare.