Aphrodisiacs are, by definition, foods, drinks, or drugs that stimulate sexual desire or excitement. That sounds just dandy! The question is, are they real? The answer is, meh. Kinda. While no food has been clinically shown to directly whip you up into a libidinous frenzy, the placebo-like effect of eating something that puts you into that “Riunity on Ice, That’s Nice” feeling is just as valid. Basically, science says “whatever gets the job done.” Yes, that’s a direct quote…from science.
Like any good scientific inquiry, the study of aphrodisiacs is best done through experimentation. If the general consensus is that these romantically revered offerings promote the desire to get jiggy with it, you’d be remiss if you didn’t test these out before forming a final opinion right? Just make sure your lab is up to clinical specifications. Dimmer switches on lights should be set to half-mast and be sure air quality is enhanced with the smooth stylings of Justin Timberlake or maybe some Adele.
Now that your workspace has been established, try some of these recipes on for size to put this whole “aphrodisiac” debate to the test. Science, and your date, owe you a debt of gratitude.
Source: Spike Sweet Potato Truffles
Containing tryptophan and phenylethylamine, chocolate is believed by some to promote feelings of falling in love and arousal in the brain. Whether or not that’s actually scientifically sound, the fact remains that giving a chocolate lover Spike Sweet Potato Truffles will likely make them feel fondly for you. Mission accomplished.
Source: Walnut Crusted Pear-Ginger Tart
Stimulating to the circulatory system, ginger literally gets the juices flowing. Add some Walnut Crusted Pear-Ginger Tart to the menu and reap the proper blood-flow benefits.
Between the aspartic acid which neutralizes fatigue causing ammonia in the system and its high calcium, vitamin E, and potassium content which cleanses the kidneys and boosts energy, this veggie is thought to give you amorous stamina. Whip up some Vegan Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto for you and your beloved and prepare to become the Energizer Bunnies of romance.
These aren’t just the delicious by-product of jack-o-lantern carving night. As it turns out, throwing together Creamy Pumpkin Seed Alfredo With Kale and Sweet Peas could also boost testosterone levels.
Source: Chipotle Chile Pepper Roll
They quicken the pulse, induce sweating and promote the release of endorphins, kinda like falling in love. Actually, after eating just one, warm Chipotle Chile Pepper Roll you might decide to start checking out china patterns with it.
Apparently, avocados are considered aphrodisiacs due to their appearance. In fact, they were considered so naughty looking that Spanish priests used to forbid them. Go ahead, barbecue up some Grilled Avocado With Roasted Tomatoes, you saucy minx.
This herb’s anti-inflammatory properties are said to combat lowered libido and, ahem, any system malfunctions. Just a few bites of 5 Minute Basil Pesto Raw Zucchini Pasta will enflame your evening, not your system.
A great source for manganese, magnesium, vitamin E, and zinc, these babies are filled with the kind of good stuff imperative for sexual health. They were also said to be a favorite of Cleopatra. You think Marc Anthony would have been into Slow Cooker Stuffed Apples With Figs? Oh, he so would.
Source: Almond Joy Bars
Not only does the vitamin and mineral content for this nut promote general well being, but the aroma of almonds is also said to be stimulating to females. Maybe on Valentine’s Day, you should take a whiff of these Almond Joy Bars. You know, for science.
Rich in magnesium and B-vitamins, which are vital to hormone production, they also contain the male libido enhancing enzyme, bromelian. Try some Mindblowing Banana Chocolate Caramel Vegan Ice Cream Cake. The name just could not be more apropos.
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Unfortunately, dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer, and has many side effects.
For those interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend purchasing one of our many plant-based cookbooks or downloading the Food Monster App which has thousands of delicious recipes making it the largest vegan recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.