If you've been wanting to lighten up your evening meal and finish dinner feeling energized but a salad alone isn't quite going to cut it, then these creamy pesto zoodles are sure to do the trick. This is a super simple recipe that’s a breeze to make. It’s also so filling and satisfying. To make your pasta base from fresh whole zucchinis, you will need a handy little piece of kitchen equipment called a ‘Spirooli.' If you’re keen to expand your repertoire of healthy, gluten-free gourmet dishes then it’s well worth your time to hunt one down. Get your hands on the biggest bunch of fresh, local basil you can find, and blend up the creamy pesto sauce in 5 minutes or less. Enjoy! These pesto zoodles are delicious!
5-Minute Basil Pesto Raw Zucchini Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Zucchini Pasta:
- 4 zucchinis, peeled
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews*
- 1/2 cup walnuts*
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 11/2 large bunches basil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup purified water, add gradually as you don’t want mixture too runny
- 1 punnet perino sweet tomatoes, cut in ½
- Sprinkle pepita seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Garnish:
- Perino sweet tomatoes
To Make the Zucchini Pasta:
- Peel, cut ends off zucchini, and place zucchini into a spiralizer (3 in 1 turning slicer).
To Make the Sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend slowly until the sauce is smooth.
- Place pasta in mixing bowl and pour sauce over, mix well.
- Cut tomatoes in 1/2, fold through pasta, and add pepitas.
*Cashews – Soak cashews for 2–4 hours. Rinse and drain. The soaking process is an option, not a requirement; you can use raw cashews. I do recommend soaking if you have time. *Walnuts - Soak walnuts for 4 hours. Rinse and drain. The soaking process is an option, not a requirement; you can use raw walnuts. I do recommend soaking if you have time.