When I first tried kale, I hated it. My husband had grown some in his garden, and was so proud to serve me a big plate of kale salad. I struggled my way through chewing the tough, bitter leaves, and did my best to finish it. After that, I wasn't too keen on trying it again. But then I learned all of the amazing nutritional benefits of kale. One serving of kale (1 cup) has your full RDA for vitamin C, about twice the RDA for vitamin A and almost 7 times the RDA for vitamin K. Kale also has a quarter of your RDA for manganese, along with a respectable amount of copper, potassium and calcium. As a member of the brassica, or cruciferous, vegetable family (which includes broccoli, cauliflower, collards and cabbage) kale is also loaded with cancer-fighting antioxidants and sulforophane. Knowing how phenomenally healthy it was motivated me to learn to love kale. I discovered massaging, which is a simple way to soften the texture and flavor, and found that when I paired kale with a really flavorful and creamy dressing it got me to the point where I love eating it. Now I actually wish my husband didn't like kale so much because I want to eat it all myself! This recipe features a super-creamy avocado dressing, flavored with sweet-smoky mesquite. Toss this awesome dressing with massaged kale, sweet and crunchy red pepper, juicy cucumber and edamame beans for a delicious and nourishing salad. Check out the video below for a quick kale massage how-to and step-by-step instructions for making this delicious salad. Ingredients and written instructions are provided below the video.
Mesquite-Avocado Kale Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mesquite-Avocado Kale Salad [Vegan]
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 clove fresh garlic (or ¼ tsp garlic powder)
- 1-2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (depending on how tangy you like it)
- ¾ tsp mesquite powder (can sub chili or curry powder)
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- pinch salt
- 4 pieces of kale, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- ¼ cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup edamame beans, shelled and thawed
- 1 green onion, chopped
How to Prepare Mesquite-Avocado Kale Salad [Vegan]
- Put the avocado, vinegar and seasonings with about 1/2 cup of water in a blender.
- Puree, adding more water to get the consistency you want for your dressing.
- Cut the stems off the kale if you don't like them, and chop the kale into bite-size pieces.
- Sprinkle them with a bit of salt and massage them with your fingers until they wilt and get some moisture on the outside.
- Put the rest of the veggies in a bowl, and toss with the dressing.
- The salad is great served on its own, with a bowl of soup or in a wrap.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.