I have for you a simple and easy, customizable tomato sauce to satisfy the gustatory pleasures. I made this impromptu two nights in a row because it was delightfully tasty (and I had requests). You may use any ingredients you have on hand. I didn't measure anything here, 'twas all up to my taste buds. Each batch is customizable and unique, I like that. I set the foundation and now you can have fun with customization and play around with the tastes. I'm sure onions, carrots, celery, or other veggies would taste great in this. Go crazy. I'm not partial to cooking with olive oil as it has a low tolerance to heat, thus rancidity, so I didn't add it, but feel free to do so if you please. You may also simply top your dish with extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil once all cooking is done (I would recommend this). Start in increments of a tablespoon. If you don't have red wine, you can still make a great sauce!
Homemade Spicy Red Wine Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (28oz) puree of whole peeled tomatoes (I used no salt added) OR 1 lb 12oz- 2 lb whole plum tomatoes
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- glug or two of red wine (around 1/4 cup) (I used no sulfites added TreeHugger Wine)
- 2-3 tsp palm sugar (any mild-tasting sweetener should do)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- italian spices (basil, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram)*
- ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional for spicy, spiciness yum)
- Set stove to simmer (or lowest setting). Add blanched tomatoes (smoosh them) or canned tomatoes to a large sauce pan.
- Add rest of ingredients to pan, to taste
- Let simmer for as long as you like (I've seen even an hour or two), or simply until heated and pleases your palate. Take note: the longer you simmer, the more time the flavors will have to meld and sauce will thicken a bit.
- Serve over your favorite pasta (gluten-free brown rice pasta recommended :) ), veggies, or any dish!