I can't say this recipe is healthy…but indulgent! It's the holidays after all, and I can't imagine anything better than waking up to these babies. As with most baking that involves yeast, there are many steps, and a lot of waiting as things rise. The good news is that you can complete most of the steps one day, put them in the fridge overnight, and just do the last rise and bake them the next morning. This really makes them worthwhile and it seems like a lot less work. Give them a try, and experiment with adding different nuts, raisins, craisins, etc. Go crazy!!
Cinnamon Rolls [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cinnamon Rolls [Vegan]
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 Tbsp water)
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (2 envelopes)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar Filling
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/3- 2/3 cup chopped nuts/raisins (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to Prepare Cinnamon Rolls [Vegan]
- Prepare flax egg by mixing ground flaxseeds and water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes until gelatinous.
- In a saucepan, heat milk and oil to 100-120 degrees F (lukewarm, not hot!) Pour into a large mixing bowl or your stand mixer bowl.
- Add 1 cup flour, sugar, flax egg, yeast, and salt. Beat on low for two minutes. Add remaining flour. Beat on low until all flour is absorbed. Dough should be sticky, but if wet and sticky, add another 1-2 Tbsp flour until dough starts to form a ball and pull away from edges.
- Turn out dough onto counter and knead until elastic and smooth, adding more flour if necessary. I suggest a full 10 minutes. If you choose to do this in your stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, less time is needed.
- Oil a big bowl, put dough in bowl, turning, so it is coated in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area for 2 hours. Volume should double.
- Mix sugars and cinnamon together. If adding nuts or raisins, mix them in now.
- Punch dough down. Transfer to a floured work surface and roll into a 15 x 11 inch rectangle.
- Spread margarine onto dough staying just away from the edges. Evenly top with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Roll up the dough (from the long side) and slice into approximately 16 slices. Place into 2 greased 9-inch pie pans. At this point, if leaving overnight, cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. In the morning, take buns out and let rise in a warm area until doubled in size. This can take over an hour if buns are quite cold from the fridge. If making buns right away, let rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- As rolls bake, prepare glaze. Beat together sifted powdered sugar and milk. Stir in vanilla. Add more milk if necessary until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove cinnamon buns from oven and top with glaze while still warm.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.