You can find multiple sources online that discuss the history of and traditions surrounding King Cake, so we''ll avoid that here because the recipe is quite long. Enjoy the cake and the party, and laissez les bons temps rouler!
King Cake for Mardi Gras [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make King Cake for Mardi Gras [Vegan]
- 1 pkg. dry active yeast
- 2 Tbsp. warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- Egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
- 8 Tbsp. cold vegan butter, cut into small pieces
- Filling (see recipe below)
- Plastic baby or dried bean
- Frosting (see recipe below)
- Sprinkles (see recipe below) Filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. soy milk
- 1 cup sugar, divided into 3 equal parts
- Yellow, green, and purple food coloring
How To Make King Cake for Mardi Gras [Vegan]
- Place the yeast and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Let stand until frothy.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, sugar, soy milk, and lemon zest, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add to the yeast and water.
- Mix the nutmeg with the flour in a separate bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the egg replacer, then gradually add the flour mixture and the margarine and mix until incorporated. Additional flour may be needed.
- Knead on low speed for 10 minutes, or until a smooth, elastic dough is formed.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Press into a 26x12-inch rectangle.
- Spread the filling over the rolled-out dough. Starting at the bottom, roll the dough up to form a log about 26 inches long. Hide the small plastic baby or dried bean in the dough.
- Pinch the seam to close. Place seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet, then bring the ends together to form a ring. Pinch the ends together to seal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Place the cooled cake on a serving platter that will catch any excess frosting.
- Spoon the warm frosting on top of the entire cake, letting it run down the sides.
- Add the sprinkles in 2-inch sections, alternating colors.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve later. Filling
- Mix the ingredients together until combined.
- Melt the margarine over low heat.
- Add the powdered sugar and the vanilla, mixing until smooth.
- Slowly add the soy milk, stirring constantly, until the desired consistency for drizzling is reached.
- Place the sugar in three separate bowls. Add one color to each bowl and mix until all the granules are covered.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Do you put the plastic baby in before or after you bake?