After not eating for an extended period, you’re going to want some delicious food to fill up your stomach. If you’re not quite sure what you’re making yet, don’t worry we’ve got you covered. It may be last minute, but you can whip up at least a few of these before sunset. They’re filling, tasty, and will impress all of your loved ones. With everything from blintzes to kugel, to bagels, this list of foods will make for an amazing breakfast for everyone at the table.
We also highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help you get healthy!
1. Cream Cheese Blintzes With Blueberry Drizzle
Bring a Katz’s Delicatessen classic to your table with these vegan Cream Cheese Blintzes With Blueberry Drizzle by NYC Vegan: Iconic Recipes for a Taste of the Big Apple. Rather than dairy-based cheese, these pastries are filled with a combination of tofu and vegan cream cheese. Drizzle on some of the blueberry sauce for the perfect touch of sweetness.
2. Seitan Steak and Mushroom Pie
Source: Seitan Steak and Mushroom Pie
This Seitan Steak and Mushroom Pie by Jenny Marie is perfect for a Sunday dinner, or just as a comforting any-night meal to warm you up when it’s cold outside. They pair perfectly with creamy mashed potatoes, green vegetables, and lashings of rich gravy.
3. NYC-Style Bagels
Source: NYC-Style Bagels
Finding the best bagel spot is something that has been heatedly debated by bagel lovers around the world, but we have a secret – the best bagels come from your oven at home. This recipe makes deliciously dense, chewy bagels that are golden brown on the outside and soft and flavorful on the inside. And here’s a little pro tip: these NYC-Style Bagels by Sirke Reivo make amazing buns!
4. Red Pepper Hummus
Source: Red Pepper Hummus
Roasted red bell peppers have a smoky yet sweet flavor that is enhanced by the creamy chickpeas and tahini in this recipe. If you like spicy foods, add a bit of cayenne pepper. Start with 1/8 teaspoon and add more until it is as spicy as you like.
This Red Pepper Hummus recipe is excerpted from The Everything® Mediterranean Instant Pot® Cookbook by Kelly Jaggers. Copyright © 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
5. Comforting ‘Chicken’ Noodle Soup
Source: Comforting ‘Chicken’ Noodle Soup
6. 5-Ingredient Babka Wreath
Source: 5-Ingredient Babka Wreath
This festive twist on the traditional Jewish sweet bread is not only gorgeous – it’s delicious too. This 5-Ingredient Babka Wreath by Melina Kutelas makes the perfect addition to a decadent brunch or it can be served alongside a piping hot cup of coffee or tea.
7. Cauliflower Leek Kugel
Source: Cauliflower Leek Kugel
Kugel is a Jewish casserole typically made with noodles. However, this recipe will give you a decadent version of the traditional dish. This Cauliflower Leek Kugel by Pavani Nandula is packed full of leeks, cauliflower, tofu, and garlic to make a rich and comforting meal that will serve a crowd.
8. New York Style Knishes
Source: New York Style Knishes
No visit to New York City is complete without stopping at Yonah Schimmel’s Knish Bakery on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, where they have been selling knishes since 1890. And they even have vegan ones! At one time, knisheries could be found all over the city, from Coney Island in Brooklyn to Forest Hills in Queens. Even though they never made it as big as bagels, knishes are quintessential New York food. Try these New York Style Knishes by NYC Vegan: Iconic Recipes for a Taste of the Big Apple with a schmear of brown mustard for the truly authentic New York City knish experience. And FYI, the “k” in “knish” is not silent.
9. Arugula Pesto and Zucchini on Rye Toast
A delicious open-face sandwich layered with tangy lime/arugula pesto sauce, sliced avocado, and sautéed zucchini on rye toast. A healthy sandwich that sneaks in extra greens – perfect for any time of day or occasion. Everyone will love Marie Reginato‘s Arugula Pesto and Zucchini on Rye Toast!
10. Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach
Source: Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach
These vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Rhea Parsons are tender, crunchy, and delicious. And the filling inside is incredible. The rugelach is so pretty and yummy; they would make a perfect gift for friends and neighbors.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.