Roasted red bell peppers have a smoky yet sweet flavor that is enhanced by the creamy chickpeas and tahini in this recipe. If you like spicy foods, add a bit of cayenne pepper. Start with 1/8 teaspoon and add more until it is as spicy as you like. Excerpted from The Everything® Mediterranean Instant Pot® Cookbook by Kelly Jaggers. Copyright © 2020 by Simon & Schuster, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved.
Red Pepper Hummus [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- Place chickpeas, water, and 1 tablespoon oil in the Instant Pot. Close the lid, set steam release to Sealing, press the Manual button, and set time to 30 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, quick-release the pressure until the float valve drops. Press the Cancel button and open lid. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Place chickpeas, 1/3 cup roasted red pepper, remaining 1/4 cup oil, tahini, cumin, salt, black pepper, paprika, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor and process until creamy. If hummus is too thick, add reserved cooking liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency. Serve at room temperature, garnished with reserved roasted red pepper on top.