A delicious open-face sandwich layered with tangy lime/arugula pesto sauce, sliced avocado and sautéed zucchini on rye toast. A healthy sandwich that sneaks in extra greens - perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Arugula Pesto and Zucchini on Rye Toast [Vegan]
- 2 slices of rye toast (or any toast)
- 1/2 of an avocado
- 1/2 large zucchini
- bunch of watercress (optional)
- 1 garlic clove
For Arugula Pesto
- 2 large handfuls of arugula
- 1 cup pine nuts (or any nut)
- 1 large handful of spinach
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Start by making the arugula pesto by placing all the ingredients into a food processor and whip up until the pesto becomes smooth and creamy.
- Then sauté the zucchini by first cutting it into very thin horizontal slices. Warm the roughly chopped garlic clove, olive oil, sprinkle of sea salt and few splashes of water to a small saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the zucchini and sauté for 7 minutes – slowly add water if the zucchini starts to dry out as it cooks. Toast the bread then spread the pesto across the toast, add the zucchini and sliced avocado, and top with watercress!