I adapted these truffles from the Date Nut Pop’ems recipe in Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s Disease-Proof Your Child. There are so many variations to making these, but since I am quinoa crazy lately, I thought why not try it out in these. The creamy, crunchy texture of the quinoa makes an irresistible combination with the chocolaty nuttiness of these truffles. Another nutrient-rich and delish snack your whole family will love. Have the kids help make these too! Oh what fun!
Quinoa Date Nut Truffles [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup chopped dates (pitted)
- ¼ cup raw pecans
- 1 tbsp raw cashew butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp clementine juice
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup cooked and chilled quinoa (cooked dry and on the crunchy side)
- Unsweetened shredded coconut or ground nuts of your choice for coating the truffles
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until well combined.
- Remove from processor and place in a bowl. Place coatings of your choice on a plate.
- Remove about a tablespoon of mixture at a time and make into bite-sized balls. Roll each ball in coating and place on parchment-lined baking tray.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Store these in a refrigerator for a week, but they probably won’t last that long!