Online content creators, or influencers, really do have a huge influence on their followers and those who see their content. They can generate millions of dollars worth of value for brands that they work with by inspiring people to buy a certain product and support a certain company.
Source: ABC News/YouTube
Oftentimes, these influencers are promoting large and polluting brands like fast fashion companies. However, now with the climate change emergency, we need to work more than ever to try to get influencers to promote sustainable brands and do their part with their large platforms. Even the latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said that “social influencers and thought leaders can increase the adoption of low-carbon technologies, behaviors, and lifestyles”.
Creators and influencers can reach people in a way that the media can’t. This is why Forbes came up with these seven things that influencers have the power to do.
- Model new behaviors
- Normalize sustainability
- Banish myths
- Lead with joy
- Weave sustainability in
- Sell the solutions
- Pass the mic
Social media is always changing, and it’s changing fast. Forbes reported that YouTube has 2 billion logged-in users each month, TikTok is the fastest-growing news source in the UK, and Gen Z spends half their waking hours online.
Cities all over the world, from California to Vietnam, are facing a climate crisis, and millions of people are protesting all over the world. Studies have shown that eating more plant-based can add over a decade to your lifespan, it can save the world’s forests, it benefits the environment, and it is significantly better for your health! Nations worldwide have urged people to eat more plant-based to curb climate change.
- Watch Out for Social Media Influencers Promoting Dangerous Tanning Products
- How Influencers Like Kim Kardashian Affect the Plant-Based Market
- Fast-Fashion Influencers and their Environmental Impact
- 8 Black, Intersectional Vegan Influencers You Need to Follow and Support Immediately
- Two Arrests Made after Transgender Influencers were Robbed and Beaten on Hollywood Boulevard
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!