Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
According to the data, here is the footprint of our habits:
- Netflix is streamed globally at a rate of 1.1 hours streamed per minute. This equals 4120 tons of CO2 produced. The amount is equivalent to almost 2500 flights from Los Angeles to London.
- Email habits produce 816 tons of CO2 from 203 emails sent each minute around the world. 816 tons is the amount of CO2 that 37,000 trees sequester annually.
- YouTube streaming is equal to 1g CO2 per 10 minutes of streaming, because of its popularity YouTube usage produces 4.2 tons CO2 every minute.
- And for Google, with an estimated 3.8 million searches performed every 60 seconds, which creates 760 kg CO2 emitted, or the same CO2 as manufacturing 3,800 plastic bags.
COVID-19 is pushing internet usage up by 70%, so our streaming footprints are increasing as well. While everyone is at home practicing social distancing, it’s important to understand the footprint of increased tv or internet use.
Experts recommend lowering the footprint of streaming by reducing the brightness of your computer or TV, turning off auto-play and putting computers to sleep when not in use and overnight.
Scientists believe that the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus, started at an exotic animal market in Wuhan, China. You can help stop the incidence of viruses like these by signing this petition to ban the wildlife trade.
Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Catch up on our latest coronavirus coverage in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- How Coronavirus and the Wildlife Trade are Linked
- Jane Goodall’s Talks about Coronavirus and the Treatment of Wild Animals
- United States Now Has Most Coronavirus Cases in the World
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
- Coronavirus Update: Death Toll Surpasses SARS
- The Difference Between COVID-19 and the Flu
- Coronavirus Update: Quarantined Patients Given Turtles for Dinner In Spite of
- Coronavirus Update: Your Pets are Not in Danger
- China Acts on Coronavirus and Temporarily Bans Wildlife Trade
- Coronavirus Update: World Global Emissions Have Dropped
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!