Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
As long as scientists can figure out how to produce hydrogen without fossil fuels, it could prove to be an abundant clean energy source in the future. Thankfully, scientists have found a way to produce hydrogen at room temperature, which could be a great way to produce it without the need for fossil fuels.
A new study published in Applied Nano Materials found a way to strip the oxygen from water molecules to leave the hydrogen gas. This requires post-consumer aluminum and gallium. The method uses aluminum nanoparticles and yields large amounts of hydrogen, but best of all, it all works at room temperature.
Hydrogen fuel requires a large amount of power but the new method only requires the use of gallium metal to enable an ongoing reaction with the water. Perhaps the best thing of all is that the technique works with any kind of water, including wastewater and ocean water.
“We don’t need any energy input, and it bubbles hydrogen like crazy,” materials scientist Scott Oliver said. “I’ve never seen anything like it.”
Although aluminum is easy to obtain, gallium is more expensive and less abundant. Thankfully, the process can use the same gallium many times without losing its effectiveness.
More research is needed, but this method is promising and could prove to be a great method for producing hydrogen fuel.
Sign this petition to renew tax credits for renewable energy.
- Hydrogen: Green Super Star or Front for Fossil Fuel Supporters?
- Lunar Soil Could Help Generate Air and Hydrogen on The Moon, New Study Finds
- Climate Campaigners Go After Oil and Fossil Fuel Companies Over 2050 Climate Goals
- It’s Now or Never: IPCC Report Outlines Final Climate Change Warning For Governments
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!