Brace yourselves, the above sloth rescue video will steal your heart. Recently, a baby three-toed sloth fell from his mom’s embrace. The mama sloth was distressed, trying to get back to her baby when a man named Mr. Kelly stepped in to assist. He gently picked up the baby and holds her out for the mom to grab. The gratitude from this mama is palpable, and it even looked like she might hug Mr. Kelly to say thanks!
It’s especially important that this pair was reunited, considering sloth babies hang on to their mothers for half of their first year of life, clinging to her day and night. From here, they learn which leaves to eat, where the edible trees are located, and where to take shelter.
In Costa Rica’s rainforests, young sloths are sometimes left orphaned because of deforestation, the illegal pet trade, or a whole host of other reasons. Since sloths, much like humans, are completely dependent on their mothers for survival for up to three years, an orphaned sloth will surely not survive without help. Thanks to Mr. Kelly, this little one will now grow up with his mom and have a fighting chance in the wild!
To learn how you can help support these adorable babies, visit the Sloth Institute Costa Rica’s website, and consider making a virtual donation. Kids Saving the Rainforest is another great organization to support! And be sure to share this feel-good rescue video with everyone you know.
Remember, if you ever come into contact with a wild animal in distress, it is always best to contact a professional before stepping in. Here are some hotlines you can refer to if you ever need them.
- Sloth Bear Forced to Dance in Street Performances Finally Rescued
- Investigative Reporters Search For Missing Kingpin In Illegal Sloth Trade
- This Video of a Dedicated Rescue Volunteer Teaching an Injured Sloth How to Crawl Again Will Give You Chills
- Scent Communication: The Secret Language of Sloth Bears
- Sloth Bears Rescued in India!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
GREAT PERSON TO HELP THE GREAT SLOTH.