A new article in the Japan Times highlights how K-pop fans have become a unique force in bringing awareness to climate change. Using social media, fans are highlighting environmental issues.
Indonesian student Nurul Sarifah, who set up Kpop4Planet, told Japan Times, “K-pop fans are mostly millennials and from the Gen-Z generation — we want to fight for our future. Every day we are experiencing these effects: pollution, heat waves, floods, wildfires. We can change this by doing good, just like how our idols did, so we can enjoy K-pop on a liveable planet.”
View this post on Instagram
CedarBough Saeji, an academic who studies K-pop fan culture and is the assistant professor in East Asian languages and cultures at Indiana University Bloomington in the United States spoke to Japan Times about his view on the movement, “K-pop fans are generally open-minded and outward-facing in their approach to the world. If they weren’t, they’d listen to music from their own country in their own local language. It shouldn’t be surprising that they also share their views on their own local political, social and environmental issues.”
Sign this petition to demand that Biden and Congress work together to save our oceans, marine animals, and Earth by banning single-use plastics throughout the entire United States!
- Greta Thunberg Donates Over $1 Million Prize Money to Environmental Groups
- Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Endorses Joe Biden for President
- Greta Thunberg Says World is Passing a “Social Tipping Point” in Reference to Black Lives Matter and Climate Movements
- Greta Thunberg Stars in Pearl Jam’s New Music Video About Climate Change
- Greta Thunberg and Other Prominent Young Activists Sue 5 Nations Over Climate Crisis
- Canadian Teens’ Pledge Not to Have Kids to Protest Climate Change
- To Fight For Their Right to Life, Alaskan Kids Take Climate Change to the Supreme Court
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!