Biden issued an executive order on his first day in office that put a temporary ban on the leases. His executive order highlighted the “legal deficiencies” of the ANWR program and the “inadequacy” of the previous review.
The Trump administration opened the area up for gas and oil drilling as one of the final acts of the administration.
Secretary Deb Haaland suspended all drilling activities, pending a further review of the practice.
“President Biden believes America’s national treasures are cultural and economic cornerstones of our country and he is grateful for the prompt action by the Department of the Interior to suspend all leasing pending a review of decisions made in the last administration’s final days that could have changes the character of this special place forever,” National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy said in a statement to CBS News.
Read more about the area, including Polar Bears in Danger of Being Buried Alive as their Dens Go Undetected During Oil Drilling and Trump Administration Plans to Open Up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge For Oil Drilling.
Sign this petition to demand that U.S. legislators come together to unanimously support a Green New Deal so that we can finally address the climate crisis.
- Greta Thunberg Pushes Biden to ‘Treat Climate Crisis Like a Crisis’
- Climate Activist Greta Thunberg Endorses Joe Biden for President
- Biden Signs Executive Order to Rejoin Paris Climate Accord
- Biden Signs Executive Actions Focused on Climate Change: ‘We Can’t Wait Any Longer’
- United States Refocuses on Fight Against Climate Crisis with Summit Participation
- Lawsuit Against Federal Government Frames Healthy Climate as Legal Right
- Biden to Cancel Keystone XL Pipeline
- John Kerry Chosen as Climate Envoy for Biden Administration
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!