Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
As many Americans prepare to celebrate the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, countless lives are being lost to the tradition. Each Thanksgiving, over 46 million turkeys lose their lives for human consumption, and the suffering that comes beforehand is unimaginable. Even on “humane” turkey farms, these innocent birds endure extreme suffering and neglect. Direct Action Everywhere (DxE) rescued a turkey named Abby from one of these so-called “humane” turkey farms. The conditions they were exposed to were beyond inhumane.
When the DxE team arrived, the first thing they noticed was the incredible amount of baby turkeys packed into insanely tight quarters – 10,000 or more. Birds were being trampled, some were suffering from disease, and others were being eaten alive. The team returned on a mission to save at least one sweet soul. Abby was that one. While others picked up other birds in need, Abby was the apple of one of the rescuer’s eyes.
The rescuers worked in the night and walked through the snow to get Abby to safety. She was taken immediately to receive medical care and was shown kindness for the first time in her life. She was kissed, caressed, and cared for. Abby transformed from a sickly baby bird on her deathbed to a beautiful, happy, and free bird who loves to play with her new dog friends. Remember, while saving one animal may not change the world, surely for that one animal, the world will change forever.
- This Kind Woman Found a Turkey and Bought Him Dinner [Video]
- SavorEat Launches Fully Customizable 3D-Printed Plant-Based Pork and Turkey Burgers
- Blossom the Turkey Loves Hanging Out with Her Dog Best Friend Rather than Other Turkeys [Video]
- Another Reason to Leave Turkey Off the Menu This Thanksgiving: Genetically Modified Turkey
- 11 Fun Facts About Turkeys!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!