Native to the Maluku Islands in Indonesia, cloves are known for their powerful aroma and spicy flavor. However, cloves are much more than just a flavorful spice because they possess antimicrobial properties known to heal the body in a multitude of ways. Cloves have been used for over a thousand years in Ayurvedic medicine to cure many common ailments.
Below is a list of 10 incredible healing properties cloves possess with tips on how to incorporate this magical spice into your lifestyle.
1. Relieving Headaches
Cloves naturally possess anti-inflammatory properties, which can be used quite effectively to treat headaches. To ease your next incessant headache, try mixing ground cloves with coconut oil and a dash of sea salt, and massage lightly into your temples.
2. Boosting Your Immune System
Eugenol, a naturally-occurring compound found in cloves, has been shown to fight harmful organisms within the body, helping to combat dangerous viruses and bacteria. This means cloves are quite successful in boosting the immune system, especially during cold and flu season.
If you are feeling rundown and on the verge of getting sick, try this Anti-Inflammatory Cold Remedy Shot, pictured above, with ground cloves. It will be sure to give you that immune boost you’re looking for.
3. Aiding Digestion
4. Protecting The Liver
Possessing high levels of antioxidants, clove consumption works wonders in protecting the liver against free radicals. Because free radicals can damage cells and lead to many diseases, such as liver disease, antioxidant-rich foods can help to negate cellular damage.
5. Preventing Gum Disease
Cloves can help control the growth of oral pathogens that lead to gum diseases such as gingivitis and periodontitis, as well as relieve tooth pain because of their anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Promoting Strong Bones
Cloves are an incredible source of manganese, an essential mineral in promoting bone health. Just one teaspoon of ground cloves delivers 55-70 percent of your recommended daily allowance of manganese. Meeting your daily manganese requirements can help prevent bone diseases such as osteoporosis.
Try adding ground cloves to your morning Turmeric Latte to get your daily dose of manganese as soon as you wake up!
7. Helping Manage Diabetes
Cloves contain the antioxidant, polyphenols, which are proven very effective at lowering blood sugar levels, especially if consumed regularly. Polyphenols may also work to reduce the risk of type-2 diabetes because they slow down the rate of sugar absorption while boosting insulin susceptibility.
To naturally lower blood sugar, try concocting a tonic of cinnamon, cloves, and water to stabilize spiked sugar levels.
8. Treating Acne
Due to the antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of eugenol found within cloves, they have been shown to help treat acne by fighting against inflammation and destroying harmful bacteria found on the skin.
9. Relieving Stress
To experience the amazing stress-relieving benefits of cloves, make a tea with whole cloves, cinnamon, and mint leaves, or relax with aromatherapy by diffusing clove essential oil.
10. Healing Wounds
Ancient Indian and Chinese societies have been using cloves for centuries to heal wounds and fight infection because of their intense, antiseptic, and anti-fungal qualities. Not only will applying this incredible spice to your skin relieve pain, but it will immediately work to prevent the possibility of infection. Clove extracts work so well at fighting infections that they can even prevent the spread of human pathogens.
For best results when treating a wound, dilute clove oil with carrier oil and apply it to the inflicted area, or sprinkle ground cloves onto minor abrasions to stop the bleeding.
- 12 Hot and Spicy Plant-Based Recipes to Spice Up Your Cooking
- 10 Herbs And Spices With Powerful Health Benefits
- 12 Vegan Recipes Using Indian Masala and Spices!
- 15 Flavorful Soups With Herbs and Spices For Homemade Soup Day!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.