To stay healthy, it’s important to maintain a high-functioning immune system to guard against infections, bacteria, and viruses. Getting an adequate amount of rest each night and reducing stress levels are necessary for immune health, but what is most important is hitting all of your nutritional requirements. Recent studies have shown that essential fatty acids play a huge role in elevating the immune system. Incorporating healthy fats into your diet will keep you feeling your best all year long.
1. Role of Fatty Acids in the Immune System
Found within cells of the immune system are nutrient-sensing receptors referred to as G protein-coupled receptors, free fatty acid receptors, and metabolite-sensing receptors. In recent studies, scientists have been analyzing the effects of fatty acids and their reactions to these receptors in the immune system. These researchers found that the ingestion of fatty acids, such as omega-3s, signaled the free fatty acids receptors (FFARs) regulating not only the immune and metabolic system but also the control of inflammatory responses.
Fatty acids respond not only to FFARs in the immune system but also increase the number of T-cells, white blood cells responsible for fighting off pathogens. When participants received healthy amounts of foods rich in unsaturated fatty acids derived from plant-based sources, scientists found it stimulated the proliferation of T-cells.
The functionality of T-cells is vital to our immune health because they scan for cellular abnormalities, kill cells infected by bacteria, eradicate cancer cells, activate other immunity cells, and protect our bodies against autoimmune diseases.
Because many autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and arthritis, are very prevalent in our world today, the possibility of controlling inflammation and improving immune health with a dietary intake of fatty acids is very exciting.
2. Healthy Sources of Fat
It is important to note that the consumption of saturated fatty acids is not going to affect the immune system positively. It is vital to consume healthy fats to receive positive advantages to our immune health. So what are healthy sources of unsaturated fatty acids?
Our bodies are capable of producing all the fatty acids we need, except for linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3). To maintain a high-functioning immune system capable of boosting T-cells, we must incorporate omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids into our diet.
For optimal health, it is suggested to consume a lower ratio of omega-6/to omega-3s to protect your body from chronic diseases.
- Hemp Seeds have a fat content of 30%, with 80% consisting of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. They are also rich in protein, magnesium, and potassium.
- Walnuts are rich in omega-6 fatty acids with a healthy percentage of omega-3s as well. Walnuts are also high in antioxidants which significantly aid the immune system.
- Chia Seeds contain 2,282 mg of omega-3 and 752 mg of omega-6 fatty acids in just one tablespoon!
- Dark Leafy Greens are low in fat but possess a favorable omega-3 ratio. The best sources of dark leafy greens in this category are spinach, arugula, and romaine.
- Flax Seeds have 3,600 mg of omega-3s in 2 tablespoons!
- Beans, especially mung beans have a very favorable ratio with omega-3s weighing in at 15x the amount of omega-6s.
- Cabbage, especially cauliflower delivers 208 mg of omega-3 to 62 mg of omega-6 in just one cup.
- Winter Squashes, especially butternut squash, acorn squash, and pumpkins, are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Acai Berries are richer in polyunsaturated fatty acids than certain types of fish. This superfood is also filled with antioxidants which do amazing things for the immune system.
- Seaweed like wakame contains 52 mg of omega-3 fatty acids in just 1 ounce and is an excellent source of iodine.
3. Incorporating Fatty Acids into your Diet
Incorporating omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids into your diet does not have to be a chore and is rather easy when you have a plethora of delicious plant-based recipes to choose from.
If you are looking for recipes filled with essential fatty acids, try this Miracle Bread, Chia Pudding with Blueberries, Mung Bean Burger with Mushroom and Kale, Roasted Pumpkin Coconut Curry with Crispy Tofu, Edamame Seaweed Salad, or this Raw Walnut Taco Meat!
- Can Adding Oil of Oregano Drops To Your Water Boost Your Immune System?
- Boost Your Immune System Naturally With Viridian Andrographis Supplement
- TikTok Trend: Drink this Vitality Juice to Boost Your Immune System
- All About Amla Berry and How it Benefits Your Immune System
- 8 Zinc-Rich Plant-Based Foods to Boost Your Immune System This Winter!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.