This dish is a gorgeous medley of seasonal vegetables with spicy coconut curry. It's the perfect lunch or dinner to have when the air is extra brisk and you need something to warm you right up.
Roasted Pumpkin Coconut Curry With Crispy Tofu [Vegan]
For the Roasted Pumpkin and Veggies:
- 1 cup of thinly sliced pumpkin or butternut squash but into bite size pieces
- Peanut or grapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of halved Brussels sprouts
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Handful of green onions, chopped
For the Rice:
- 1 cup of uncooked rice
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 10-ounce package of organic smoked tofu, cut into bite size chunks
- Tapioca or corn starch
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper
For the Coconut Curry Sauce:
- 15-ounces of canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste or minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro - optional
- 1 teaspoon liquid aminos or soy sauce
To Roast The Pumpkin:
- Preheat the oven to 420°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and toss pumpkin/butternut squash with oil, lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pieces start to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in vegetable stock according to the rice packaging instructions.
To Make the Crispy Tofu:
- In a large deep fry pan add a 1/2 cup of oil and set the stove to high heat. Let it heat for 2 minutes. While the oil is heating up, toss the tofu chunks in tapioca starch, tap any excess off.
- Season with salt and pepper and gentle place pieces into the hot oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes then flip pieces over to fry the other side. Be careful not to burn yourself! Fry until the tofu is golden brown and crispy. Set aside in a bowl.
To Stir-Fry the Vegetables:
- In a wok or large fry pan add a few glugs of peanut oil on high heat for a few minutes.
- Next add the chopped vegetables except the green onions. Lower the heat to med-high and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- In a bowl mix all the coconut curry sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Add to the cooking vegetables. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- By now the pumpkin should be done. Toss the roasted pumpkin and crispy tofu into the wok, mix to combine and turn off the heat.
- Plate by spooning the rice onto a dish and top with the curry. Garnish with green onions.